25 July 2020

The Big Switch


A little over a year ago, I decided to live in a more eco-friendly way. For small beginnings, I reduced my consumption of single-use plastics-- like carrying around my own set of utensils, using my personal tumbler when buying drinks, and using an eco-bag for shopping. Throughout the process, I realized that while they may feel quite inconvenient, these tiny sacrifices actually could make a difference.

Out of all my lifestyle adjustments, the greatest one is probably this: ditching disposable feminine products. In lieu of those, I have switched to using a menstrual cup. It's not an option that many are aware of, so I am sharing my story in the hopes of inspiring others to try it as well. Trust me, it's something that benefits not only the environment, but also yourself!

The thought of using a menstrual cup can be kind of intimidating. I'll admit, when I first knew about it (I think I read about it in a random article a few years back), I thought it was difficult and impractical. Looking back, I was definitely wrong.


The menstrual cup that I use is the Sinaya Cup, which I got from The Good Trade-- a sustainable fair (among other things that jumpstarted my zero-waste journey). Sure, it took me a few cycles; but now that I've gotten used to it, I know that I'm never going back to disposable napkins and tampons again.


What exactly is a menstrual cup, and how does it work?


A menstrual cup is a reusable feminine hygiene product, made of medical-grade silicon or other flexible material/s. Like a tampon, it is an internal device, as opposed to napkins and liners which are for external use. Though menstrual cups come in different shapes (and sizes and colors too!), the most common silhouette is a bullet with a slightly-thicker rim and a thin stem at the bottom. It is folded and inserted into the vaginal opening and towards the cervix. If done correctly, the cup creates a suction in the canal and collects the blood. It can be worn for at most 12 hours; but of course,  it may be emptied more often, depending on your flow. To remove the cup, the stem serves as a guide to locate your cup. Upon pressing the base, the suction is broken, and then you can safely pull it out. It is important to be relaxed, both when inserting and removing your cup.

If you've got 5 additional minutes to spare, I highly suggest watching the video below:


Why should I switch to a menstrual cup?


I'm not lying when I say that it's one of the best, most- life-changing decisions I ever made. If only I started out earlier (in case you're wondering-- yes, you can start as young as when you get your first menstruation. Here are some perks of using a cup instead of other products, and I can attest to these form personal experience!

PROS:

  1. It is environmentally-friendly compared to other sanitary products - By using a menstrual cup, you lessen your plastic waste. One cup can be reused for two years or even longer, as long as there is no damage on it. Also, it can hold around twice as much liquid versus napkins or tampons "in one sitting" (aka less trips to the bathroom to change too!)
  2. It costs less in the long run -menstrual cup usually costs at around 1,000 php, which can be a big expense upfront. However, if you consider the long-term use you can get out of it, it definitely beats using napkins or tampons. (Imagine, 1 regular napkin costs approx 5php x average 4 changes in a day x 5 days x 12 months = that's already 1,200php a year!)
  3. You'll forget about your period - As the cup stays inside, you basically won't feel anything. While tampons are essentially the same, the latter has a string that can be irritating when out of place.  Then with napkins, that they can feel bulky and hot down there. With the cup, you can pretty much do anything-- swimming, yoga, running, etc. even while on your period!
  4. Using a cup is essentially better for the body -  You are unlikely to experience chafing or get rashes from wearing a cup (note, it is made of medical-grade silicon). Besides that, there is lower to zero risk of TSS (toxic shock syndrome). In fact, it is perfectly safe to wear a cup even when you're just anticipating your period, or on your lighter days without risk of feeling to try in your genital area.
  5. You will learn more about your body - As you use the menstrual cup, you will be more comfortable and familiar with your body. First of all, you realize that you don't lose that much blood every cycle. And as someone who did lots of research before joining the club, I definitely discovered more about the female reproductive system and its parts. It has also changed my attitude towards my body in general, and I feel more empowered than ever.
I'll admit, switching to the cup has its challenges too.  Just so you have a clearer picture of what you could be getting yourself into, here are some-- I wouldn't call them disadvantages, but rather-- potential issues to consider.

CONS:

  1. Access to clean water is essential - If the comfort room has a bidet, then no problem, Otherwise, you will have to be resourceful in terms of cleaning your cup in between uses. For me, I have a collapsible cup which serves three purposes - for storing my cup during off-days, for sterilizing my cup in between cycles, and for washing my cup. When it's time to empty my cup, I gather some water with the collapsible cup before heading to the cubicles (and clean with unscented soap). In case there is no sink in sight, tissue or wipes are also good alternatives.
  2. Bathroom trips may take longer - This is especially true during your starting period. If the cup doesn't sit well, you may have to try over and over again. But you have to make sure it's inserted correctly, or else you might run the risk of leaking. Don't worry, there's a learning curve. Trust me!
  3. There's no one-size-fits-all  Cups do come in various sizes and shapes, it's just a matter of choosing the right one for you! Good thing, there are several resources in the internet (I've listed some at the end of this post too) that can help you decide on what to get. Some tips might work for others and not for you, but that's okay. You'll find that you're not alone in your struggle and the (growing) community is very helpful.
But don't be discouraged! It's normal to have some difficulty in at first, but things will flow smoothly eventually (pun intended). Over the months that I've been using a cup, I've experienced the following: tried different folds (the 7-fold works best for me, so far!), trimmed the stem of my cup for a better fit, and even had the misfortune of dropping it in the toilet (yeah... I had to sanitize it twice after that, just to be sure). Regardless, making the switch is a rewarding choice.


What else should I know about using a cup?


You must have a lot of questions in your head-- as a beginner, I did too! It really helps to research thoroughly, although learning along the way also works. Anyway, here are some FAQ's that could help:

  • How can I make sure that the cup will stay in place, and not fall out/ get lost inside me? The menstrual cup is just meant to sit at the end of your cervix, and cannot go further up. Also, since the vaginal opening is a stretchy muscle that returns to shape (aka it expands but also closes back), the cup won't fall out unless it is not inserted all the way up.
  • How do you pee/ poop with a cup? Urinating and defecating shouldn't be a problem when you're wearing a cup because you use different holes for those!
  • How do I manage leaks? Leaks are probably unavoidable during your first few tries, but the key is to change your cup maybe every 3 hours on heavy days, depending on your flow. For extra precaution, you can use washable sanitary pads (like these ones from Simula) and/or period panties (go check out Mirko!).
  • How do I clean the cup? During your cycle, you can simply wash the cup with water and before putting back in. In case you have no access to water in the toilet, a simple wipe off will do. Then once you get home, you can clean it with water and unscented soap. Personally, I use the Sinaya cup wash (which was part of the bundle I got, but others also found good results with Cetaphil). Before and after every cycle, I also make sure to sterilize the cup by putting it in my collapsible cup filled with water, then microwaving for two minutes. Alternatively, you can also boil some water in a pot and dip the cup using a whisk so it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan. Recently, I've also began soaking the cup in Kurin water between cycles to prevent discoloration (since we're dealing with silicons, after all)
  • Can I use the cup if I am a virgin? Simple answer, YES. Most people think of the hymen as an indicator of virginity-- that if it tears, then it's your "first time". But the truth is, the hymen is not the same for every female-- some people have it, some people don't, some people have one but tear it simply by working out too much. The menstrual cup may or may not tear the hymen, but it will not take away your "virginity". (Personally though, I think that virginity is a concept perpetuated by a sexist society). Also, if you're frightened by the idea of inserting a cup, just remember: babies come out of the same hole (and their heads are much bigger than the diameter of a cup!). Our bodies can definitely handle it.

Okay,  I'm convinced! Where do I get one?


Sadly, the feminine hygienic products market in the Philippines is pretty limited. Although I don't doubt that you'll find some in various online stores (like Shopee), please beware of buying generic brands! As I mentioned, I got mine from Sinaya Cup, which is a trusted local brand. Additionally, I can also recommend Menstrual Cup PH, which is a local distributor for Intimina cups. Other local brands that I've come across are: Aunt Flo, Sati, and Pomé (available in BeautyMNL).

If you have hesitations or other concerns, don't hesitate to reach out! I'd be glad to help as best as I can. Apart from the official pages of the brands I mentioned above, I also highly recommend following Put a Cup In It. While PACII's content is generally focused on product reviews for US brands, it is a great online reference for all things menstrual cup and female reproductive health in general. I guess there are also Facebook groups out there where different users --both new and old-- share tips, tricks and experiences!

Having said all that, I hope this whole thing has convinced you to make the switch. Or at least, the idea's been introduced to you, and it's something that you can maybe consider in the future. However it's worked for you, I would love to hear about it x



1 comment: