18 October 2022

In Deep Shift (On Purpose, Passion and Privilege: Part 2)

Unbeknownst to most (exactly how I wanted it to be, really), I just turned a year older a few weeks ago. Never would I have imagined that I would be celebrating my birthday away from home and away from family, but I am most grateful to be where I am now. 

As I had shared in my previous post (read it here), I was experiencing a quarter-life crises of sorts. After months of soul-searching and multiple bouts of imposter syndrome, I finally made the big move to the United Kingdom to pursue my masters! This decision was something that both scared and excited me, with the latter being the more dominant feeling. But more than where I was going, it was the why that really elated me.

I am now a postgraduate student at University of York, studying MSc Corporate Sustainability and Environmental Management. Being someone who studied Accounting for my undergrad, took the licensure exams to become a Certified Public Accountant in my home country, and then worked at a multinational financial services institution for half-a-decade,  I know this will come as a surprise to many. Heck, even 10-year-old me would not have seen this coming. 

So how did I end up here? To answer that, it seems like the perfect opportunity to share a portion of my personal statement which I submitted as part of my university application. To be honest, it took me a while to complete my essay because I felt like there were so many ways I could go with to show my motivation. There was also the given pressure to be unique and catchy, in order to stand out amidst a deluge of applications. But I'm really glad with how it turned out, as I believe it encapsulates why I decided to do what I do, and why I specifically chose York. 

    It all began with a challenge. In 2019, I dared myself to survive 45 days without single-use plastics. To stick to my commitment, I diligently brought my own set of reusables everywhere. Eventually, the days stretched on to months; and I found myself making more lifestyle switches to reduce my carbon footprint. When the pandemic struck the following year, I felt compelled to recalibrate my life and ponder on how to move forward. Understanding the urgency of the climate crisis, I was faced with a new challenge: how can I translate my passion for sustainability into purpose?

    With the prevalence of greenwashing, sustainability still appears abstract in the business world. To aid organisations in transitioning towards a green and resilient future, I am motivated to pursue MSc Corporate Sustainability and Environmental Management at the University of York. Through the programme’s interdisciplinary approach, I expect to gain a better understanding of business operations and learn through a scientific lens to develop nature-based solutions...

A month in (well three weeks, if we're excluding the Welcome Week-- but in my books, it definitely counts), and I can confidently say that I made the right decision. My core modules are amazing-- we even have a couple of out-of-town field trips in store! The university itself has a firm commitment towards  sustainability and the campus is stunning. Of course, the city itself is just charming whichever way you look-- there is so much history beneath its cobblestone streets and within its city walls.

Admittedly, I am in a series of transitions: geographically, culturally, and academically, even! While everything seemed overwhelming at first, it helps to be surrounded by a good support network. The community in York is so diverse-- just as there are students from all parts of the world, the locals are just so hospitable. It's so enriching to learn from people that are both so similar and so different from you! One more thing that I love about living in York is that I feel safe everywhere-- even at nighttime (and it's said to be the most haunted city in Europe!) For such a small town, there is definitely a lot to love.

To be overseas and continuing my education in an esteemed institution is something that I am definitely grateful for. I am also aware that this comes from a place of privilege, one that I wish to put into good use. As volunteering was one of the experiences that truly opened my eyes to my passion for sustainability, I wish to continue this while in the UK. Thankfully, there are plentiful opportunities in York! I am still getting my bearings together and struggling to form a solid day-to-day routine-- but I'm sure it will come in time. I am definitely excited for what this next chapter in my life holds!

With high hopes that this statement will age well-- I don't think I will ever grow tired of York.

Cheers,


No comments:

Post a Comment