26 November 2020

A/W 2019: Pumpkin Patchin'

If seasons were colors, Autumn would be orange. But not your typical, bright, obnoxious orange; rather, somewhat like burnt sienna. Still vibrant and warm like its predecessor, Summer, but with a hint of restraint. Like a youngling who, deep inside, is actually an old soul. Or better yet, a grownup who never lost their childlike wonder. After all, if spring is about new life, then perhaps Autumn would be somewhere within the 40s age bracket?

Autumn has a certain charm that makes me wax poetic, just reminiscing about it. It is nature’s final showcase before setting off to hibernate, tucking itself underneath Winter’s thick blanket. And as someone who adores sunsets for how they paint the sky in splashes of colors everyday, I guess I was meant to... fall in love with Fall. I just had to experience it all for myself-- the sight of trees caught in various stages of undress, the feel of crisp breeze brushing against my cheeks, the sound of leaves getting crushed by the soles of my boots, the scent of cinnamon and other spices wafting in the air, and the sweet yet tart taste of cider on my lips. Being born and raised in a country where seasons are limited to hot and hotter  err, dry and rainy, it's not an opportunity that's easy to come by. But I was lucky enough to have exactly that in October of last year.

For me, certain things define The Ultimate (American) Autumn Experience: foliage, sweaters, and pumpkins-- to name a few. And yes, the infamous pumpkin spice latte falls under the third category, no matter how cliché or pretentious it may seem. That being said, I was more than delighted to visit a pumpkin patch for the very first time. After all, did you really spend autumn somewhere if you don't have photos heavily saturated with oranges, browns, some reds and yellows too?

Located in Homer Glen, IL, Bengtson's Pumpkin Farm is only a 40-min drive from the city of Chicago. I virtually had no idea what I would find in a pumpkin farm, except, well... pumpkins. Although for some reason, I had in my head the picture of a ridiculously tall corn maze-- you know, like those in horror movies, where the protagonist runs for their life while a serial killer armed with a chainsaw is on their tail. (For the record, I don't even watch scary films.)

Anyway, Bengtson's had none of that-- the corn maze, I mean. Oh, and no murderers on the loose too, of course! But the place did have lots of attractions and rides, like a mini roller coaster, jumbo inflatable slide, haunted house, petting zoo, and more. It's truly a great family destination; and while I didn't get to launch myself in a ball-pit-made-of-corn-kernels like my little cousin did, I still had a wonderful time going around the farm, munching on their signature snacks (i.e. kettle corn, apple cider donuts) and taking lots of pictures-- as you can see below.

Unfortunately, I was not able to tick "pumpkin carving" off my bucket list during this trip, because we didn't have enough time. My flight back to the Philippines was actually the day after, so I still had to finalize packing my things (plus, there wouldn't be space in my luggage for my masterpiece too huehue). Fingers crossed I get to come back and try my hand on carving someday!


Photos taken October 2019 on iPhone only



1 comment: