04 February 2018

San Francisco: Palace of Fine Arts


One day in San Francisco was all we had, and we used it to be typical tourists yet again. Some sights revisited, some seen for the first time-- but this has to be the highlight for me.

I've mentioned multiple times in my blog that I am especially enamored of Greco-Roman architecture, so I definitely loved the Palace of Fine Arts. Believe it or not, I only discovered this place when it was featured in a local TV show that I unintentionally subscribed to. One of the settings of the show was San Francisco, and they shot several scenes in this landmark.

Apparently, the Palace of Fine Arts is part of many courts constructed during the Panama-Pacific International Exposition held in 1915, and is the only structure remaining out of all. Discovering this actually launched me into a night of reading about world fairs throughout the years (they say don't trust Wikipedia, but you gotta admit it's convenient yah?), and marveling at all the structures that were built for these expos.

Needless to say, the palace's architecture is absolutely stunning. What amazed me even more was how they turned the exhibit hall into The Innovation Hangar (now permanently closed), which allowed modern technology to be embedded in such a classical landscape by means of a VR gaming pod, mini exhibits, workshops, and more.

Definitely had a delightful time at The Palace of Fine Arts. The wind was really strong-- we were in the Bay Area, after all. The temperature was pretty cold as well, hence the bundling up. But that did not stop me from taking in all the scenery and posing for photographs haha!


(Photos are from December 2016)

No comments:

Post a Comment