23 December 2015

Christmastime in the City


Iba talaga ang Paskong Pinoy (The Filipino way of [celebrating] Christmas is truly one-of-a-kind). For one, we have one of the longest Christmas seasons in the world, starting as early as September, when the Ber months roll in. Since Christmas Day will be in two (!!!) days, I thought I could share with you something that has somehow become our Christmas tradition: witnessing the lights show at the Ayala Triangle.


I am amazed at how Ayala has truly outdone itself this year! Apart from the usual Christmas lights and hanging LED tube lights, they also made use of lasers and smoke. They even made more than one set of music to which the lights dance to, which we discovered when we decided to stay after the segment we caught. They also took things a step further with the Christmas decoration of the Makati CBD. I love how they incorporated the beloved capiz into their designs, and even paid tribute to different churches in the Philippines.

Our Christmas celebration is actually fairly simple; our family just likes to stay at home and spend time in each other's company. Honestly, I love it just the way it is. Although this year, I decided to do something a little different: I participated in simbang gabi (Christmas novena) for the first time. Although I committed to the anticipated version, I'm proud of myself for having completed 9 out of 9 nights! I have to say, simbang gabi has made me feel Christmas in a "deeper" level. Honestly, over the past years, I haven't been feeling Christmas that much-- maybe it had something to do with growing up? Regardless, Christmastime is still something that I look forward to and treasure.

Dear reader: no matter how old you are, wherever you are, whichever way you celebrate (or not) Christmas, and whomever you celebrate it with-- I hope you feel the joy and wonder behind it. Wishing you happy holidays!

x Erika

PS: If you still haven't caught the Festival of Lights at the Ayala Triangle, they're going to be on until January 6. Shows take place every 30 minutes from 6pm to 10pm. Definitely a must-see!

3 comments:

  1. This is such a lovely post! I enjoyed reading. Happy holidays!

    xoxo;
    STYLEFORMANKIND.COM
    Facebook
    Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful! Merry Christmas!
    Thestyletune.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many beautiful lights! I love how the lights looks like they are just draping off the trees. Merry Christmas!
    Dresses & Denim

    ReplyDelete